Position Title: 2017-2018 Kentucky Opera Internship
Reports to: Director of Administration & Development
Status: Part-Time, Exempt
Date: June 13, 2017
Kentucky Opera is looking for a self motivated intern who is interested in arts administration, and has the ability to multi-task. This internship position will work closely with various departments including Development, Special Events, Marketing, Production, and Education. This candidate will learn the intricacies of each department and its programming needs. This position will be overseen by the Director of Development and Administration. Interns must have access to their own transportation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Routine clerical support
• Assist in grant reporting/writing, donor cultivating, and development support for Kentucky Opera
• Research for new grants, foundations, and corporations to apply for funding
• Assist in marketing such as media, print and digital materials, and social media
•Financial data entry support (Raisers Edge), donation entry, report creation, regular creation of acknowledgement letters
• Assist with event administration such as taking RSVPs, attendance lists, name tags, place cards, meal orders, thank you letters, reminders, setup, raffles, and other related tasks
• Assist with meeting support such as send notices, compile meeting materials, and setup meeting spaces
• Help prepare for special event mailings: mail merges, prep, stuff, and mail envelopes, and assist in hand addressing invitations, stuffing, and stamping
• Assist with prep for Special Events such as Opening Night, Patron’s Circle Party, Cast Party, and others
• Participate in education support for Lunch & Listen, Final Dress Rehearsals, and others
• Carnevale 2018 event support
• Receptionist support
• Other duties as assigned
The Kentucky Opera Internship position will require a set consistent schedule of 12-15 hours per week. Hours are subject to change based on intern’s availability and Kentucky Opera’s programming needs. Some nights and weekends will be required during production periods. Internship will begin August 1, 2017 and end May 31, 2017. An extension of internship can be negotiated and will be based on evaluation.
Kentucky Opera (KO) is the only major professional opera company in Kentucky, reaching over 240,000 households annually. We offer a robust, exciting opera season, as well as a variety of innovative outreach, engagement, and enrichment programs in a wide variety of locations. Every opera production is produced locally, representing a unique collaboration among over 400 professionals, many from the local area. Kentucky Opera’s mission is to engage as broad and diverse an audience as possible throughout Kentucky and the surrounding region. Further, Kentucky Opera’s vision is to deliver a top quality, highly entertaining, accessible, socially interactive, and affordable cultural arts experiences to as many people as possible. Strategically, everything Kentucky Opera does focuses on positioning the company as a regional and national leader in developing contemporary, innovative programming; reaching new and more diverse audiences; producing outreach and educational/ enrichment programs; and training the next generation of emerging American opera artists. In 2016/17, Kentucky Opera partnered with over 50 community organizations, and that number will continue to grow significantly over the next year.
Additional Position Details
• Compensation :$8.50/hour
• To apply: Please send a resume and a letter of interest to Sandra Wu at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, July 7, 2017